Sunday, March 04, 2007

Maple Caramel Popcorn

Part one of today's homemade snackage:
Maple caramel popcorn

A batch of yummy maple caramel popcorn, adapted from the recipe found here.

Maple caramel popcorn

No nuts for me, so I left out the pecans. I only had 1/2 cup of maple syrup on hand, so I cut the caramel syrup recipe down to a third of what it's supposed to be. It's still plenty sweet and maple-y, but didn't require a cup and a half of pure maple syrup (which, having tasted this, I think would make it WAY too sweet).

I have a horrible tendency to burn sugar any time I try to make candy, and I was THRILLED that I caught the syrup before it burned (and yes, it was definitely heading that way). It was around 290 degrees at that point, which is close enough to 300 for me... poured it over the popcorn, and it started to harden almost immediately. I did get it spread out on a baking sheet to cool before it hardened completely, and then broke it up once it had cooled. This is some very tasty stuff, and hopefully, with 8 cups to munch on, I won't eat all of it today. :)

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Hi, I featured you on my blog. I hope thats ok. The link is http://culturecottage.blogspot.com/.